- Ground beef 1 kg ( shoulder )
- Cannelloni 30
- Olive oil 1 cup
- Margarine 2 tablespoons
- Plum tomatoes finely chopped 1 can or 3-4 fresh tomatoes peeled and seeded
- Tomato paste 1 can
- Salt 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper 1 teaspoon
- Ground nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon
- Onion 1 1/2 finely chopped
- Garlic 2-3 cloves finely chopped
- White wine 1 cup
- Sugar 1 level teaspoon
- Parsley 2-3 sprigs finely chopped
- Water 1 1/2 cup
- Cheese 100 gr grated of your choice
For the bechamel sauce
- Milk 1 liter
- All-purpose flour 5 tablespoons
- Egg 1
- Cheese 200 gr grated of your choice
In a wide pan heat half of the olive oil with 1 tablespoon of margarine.Add the ground beef and saute,add the finely chopped onion and garlic too.Season with 1 teaspoon of salt,pepper and nutmeg.Pour the white wine and stir constantly until evaporated,add the plum tomatoes,the tomato paste,the sugar and the water.Turn the heat down to medium low and let it simmer.Then add the finely chopped parsley.Make sure there is enough sauce.When it is ready remove it from the heat and let it cool.Then add the grated cheese.
Prepare the bechamel sauce,in a deep pan heat the remaining olive oil and 1 teaspoon of margarine.Add the flour stirring constantly until the mixture turns golden.Add the remaining milk and salt and whisk with quickly to prevent lumping.When the mixture begins to thicken remove it from the heat and stir constantly.When it is slightly cool add the egg and stir until the mixture combines.Add the grated cheese and a little nutmeg.
In a roasting pan or a pyrex,spread some of the tomato sauce and start filling the cannelloni with the ground beef.Use a teaspoon to fill the easier.Then line them in the roasting pan.Pour on top the remaining sauce.Cover them with the bechamel sauce ( optionally sprinkle with some grated cheese on top ) and bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes.During the first 20 minutes cover the cannelloni with some foil to prevent drying out.Then bake them uncovered until brown.Serve them warm.
* Optionally you can add some finely chopped carrots and green peas to the ground beef.